Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Cultura y algo como esa.

met up with the psychologist from america today. It’s crazy but I feel like she and I are connected in a strange way. We talked a little bit about culture shock, about the thought processes behind what causes culture shock. When you go into a new environment, you take a piece of your home with you. And so when you are put in a strange situation that is so different from what you are used to, it triggers angry thoughts, which change your behaviour, which change your brain chemistry (because when you move, neurons fire in your brain, creating an associative pathway so that it will automatically happen every time you are in that situation/) and so quite literally it is a rut you can’t ge tout of. Unless you can remove yourself from your thoughts, observe them and then change your behaviour. And so you do this by examining your exact thoughts in those situations. I think I want ot do my thesis on this mehtod of coping with culture shock. I’d like to have the subjects fill out journals while they are in a different country for the first couple of weeks. Apparently, the thoughts come in patterns and so those patterns are actually what makes our psychological culture. Which makes culture shock. I’m also interested in reentry shock, and would like to do the same thought survey on people coming back from forgein countries. I think I might email my advisor and see what she says about these ideas.

I took the placement exam today and found out that I got into the C program so my schedule will be a little bit different. But no pasa nada. Hopefully hamilton will still accept the credits. I just emailed my advisor and asked her to forward it to the registrar’s office because I couldn’t remember the name of the person I was supposed to send it to. Hopefully the credits will transfer. If not I guess an extra year at hamilton won’t hurt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home