Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Ice Cream and Jazz Cafes

Was feeling kind of down today. I'm not quite sure why. I had dinner at Laney's and Sara's tonight.. I'm convinced that Laney is the best cook in all of Granada. After bundeling me up in some sweaters and scarves (it is cold in the albayzin, i'd say drops at least 10 degrees at night, and I did not take it into consideration that i might need a jacket.) She took me to the hostel where I am trying to get a room for Semana Santa. Apparently, I'm kind of late with making the reservations because Semana Santa is just a really crazy time for Granada. I'm supposed to go back tomorrow morning to work out all the details. Hopefully it will work out, but we will see. After meeting the owners of the hostel (A french-canadian and an american, both very simpatico, but neither of whom speak any spanish), Sara went Salsa dancing (a little disappointed, i think, that I declined to go with her... just not in the salsa dancing mood tonight). Laney took me to get some ice cream at this adorable cafe kind of by the cathedral, but I have no idea where exactly. The ice cream was amazing and just what i needed I think. We walked around that area for a little bit, stopped to listen to some hippies play in a drum circle on the Cathedral steps, went into a cafe where occasionally there is an open mic for spoken word and poetry performances (though not tonight).

It's crazy. I used to crave schedules, knowing exactly where i have to be at an exact time. But now, it's like I don't even want to know. I don't want to have to be anywhere. I just want to wander and discover and do what i need to do on my own time. I still like to be organized, i think, but the urgency isn't there anymore. It's like, i'll figure things out when i have to.

Laney dropped me off at the Correos where I walked home and she met Mateo at the fountain nearby. Not so sad anymore, but not quite happy either. Just content.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home